Blog: On the Move
Get Email Updates
Become a Movement Maker
Every two years, Move to End Violence opens the application process to find its next cohort of Movement Makers. The application for cohort 2 closed on July 11, 2012. We announced our selection of cohort 2 in November, please meet the new Movement Makers. We will re-open the application in the Spring of 2014.
Who Should Apply
Move to End Violence seeks inspired individuals who are committed to building a social change movement that will end violence against girls and women in the United States. Our second cohort of Movement Makers will include leaders who use creative and innovative approaches to address the root causes of violence.
The strongest applicants will be:
- Dedicated to ending violence against girls and women;
- Self-reflective and in pursuit of personal growth;
- Self-defined leaders (though no positional authority is required);
- Intersectional in their analysis of and approach to social justice work;
- Ready to engage in conversations around tensions and conflicts in the movement and open to exploring new solutions;
- Forward and strategic thinkers;
- Movement-minded collaborators;
- Strategic and experienced in social change campaigns;
- Passionate about maximizing this movement’s potential to affect social change; and
- Energized by what they know about Move to End Violence and the work of the pilot cohort.
We believe that individual and networked leaders cannot achieve social change without the support of strong, well-resourced organizations. Therefore, applicants to Move to End Violence must be housed within organizations that:
- Support full participation of the applicant in the program (please see Support for Application);
- Demonstrate a commitment to ending violence against girls and women through social change; OR focus on a different aspect of social justice work (other than ending violence against girls and women), but use a girl's and women's rights lens and are strongly committed to cross-movement collaboration; and
- Are consistent with NoVo Foundation’s mission and vision.
Program Benefits and Obligations
The Movement Maker experience is extremely rewarding and intensive. Before you start the application, we recommend that you review the Program Benefits and Obligations which highlights the benefits of this program and outlines the eligibility, attendance, and participation requirements. Please also note that the application process does require your Executive Director (or your Board Chair if the applicant is the Executive Director) to express her/his support for your application by completing the Support for Application Form.
How to Apply
We will re-open the application process in the Spring of 2014. Please register for our enews to be kept informed of the application process.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.